Monday, July 28, 2008

Columbus L. Moore and Mary J. Cato marriage license

This is the marriage record for Columbus Lewis Moore and Mary J. Cato. They were married in White County, AR on 13 Dec 1894. White Co. marriage records are on microfilm at the public library in Searcy, and I had gotten a copy of this a while back. But I wanted a better copy, so I went to the courthouse. They will not let you make photocopies, as the books are very old. So I had to settle for a picture.

What's puzzling to me about this marriage record, is that it states Columbus married Mrs. Mary J. Cato. Could she have been widowed previously? I searched the marriage records for a Mr. Cato that married a Mary, M., or J. and found nothing. There is an Emmett (Amos) Cato in the 1880 census listed with his wife Mary E. and children. There is a Sarah J. Cato listed with him, age 11. She would have been born around 1869, as was Mary. Could Mary and Sarah possibly be the same person? Possibly Mary changed her name because of her family background. Bonnie Baker-Palmer has some interesting information on the Cato family that you can read here. According to her, Sarah J. Cato married Lum Moore. Could Lum Moore be Columbus Moore and Sarah J. Cato be Mrs. Mary J. Cato?


No comments: